USNR ALUNNI

Updates on Jim's deployment status. We hope you will share your thoughts and comments.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

The final disconnect

Hello again from Bethesda.

Jim and I were posted on the hospitals "most wanted" list this morning. I arrived at 8:15am and by 8:30am I was wheeling Jim outside . . . no permission . . . just a strong desire for Jim to get fresh air. We were like Bonnie and Clyde as I pushed the wheelchair quickly around corners and onto the elevator before anyone could stop us! Unbeknownst to us, the entire nursing staff had been paging and looking for us! The doctors were upset, as they arrived shortly after our "getaway", to remove the trach. As of today, Jim is tube free. Chest tubes, feeding tubes and trach are gone.

Before the trach was removed Jim was talking quite a bit this morning. By mid-afternoon, he hit a wall. I don't know how to convey the discomfort and fatigue he was feeling but he just was too tired to talk, so we watched a movie and relaxed. Jim is experiencing many emotions. Every time and officer comes in to thank him and check on his status - he reminds them of the many men and women still serving, especially his comrads of the 3/25. There is no way to truly understand the impact of that statement until you roam the hallways of the hospital floor. So many young men with injuries - life altering injuries. It is a powerful experience, one that resonates within you. There are now faces I carry home with the headlines. I can only speak from my heart when I say, Jim will need to be afforded some time to spend alone. A walk, a drive on his Vespa, playing with Madison. He has not had "alone" time in 8 months. I've explained this may not be possible for some time because of the mass amount of people hoping and wanting to see him. He understands he is the "talk of Chagrin"- which he quickly dismisses with a comment about the others still serving or wounded. There is a distinct possibility that Jim could be home by Friday.

Tomorrow this trip comes to a close. I will visit one more time before driving back in the morning. I will leave confident in Jim's recovery and return home. I'm glad I was here through several major hurdles and to have witnessed his strength and courage. It's hard going home and leaving Jim behind . . . but it's also hard to leave knowing there are so many less fortunate then him. For them, I pray for their continued healing and for their families . . a calm heart.

Good night.

cynthia

7 Comments:

At Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:33:00 AM, Anonymous Aunt Celeste said...

Thanks Cyn, I'm happy you could visit JIm and convey all that is going on.
We continue to pray for all the guys and Jim.
Love, Aunt Celeste

 
At Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:51:00 PM, Anonymous Carie said...

We're so glad to hear Jim's healing well. Thanks again for the updates.

The Ketz Family

 
At Monday, August 15, 2005 1:30:00 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Jim,

Be well. We hope to see you as soon as you are ready!
Thank you Cynthia for allowing us to share in his recovery.

The Svette's

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jim;
Harry and I have been following your adventure in Iraq through your website, sorry for never leaving a comment till now.
Know how PROUD we are to call you friend!!
With lots of well wishes and God's Blessings from our home to you.

Mary Anne Edwards

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Harry & Mary Anne said...

I became a "blogger" so will not be anonymous anymore

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:26:00 PM, Blogger johnkline3102 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim~ I'm so glad to hear from you today. I did not know anything about you being injured, but am so glad you are home. My love goes out to you and hopefully when you feel like company, a friend can come out from Washington. My prayers are with you Jim. Love, Cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home